This medal was struck to mark the completion of the Erie Canal, an enormous project with ground broken on July 4, 1817, and completed on October 26, 1825. Issued by the Common Council of the City of New York, with dies engraved by Charles Cushing Wright after designs by Archibald Robertson. Light silver-gray surfaces are prooflike and show a shallow indention on the reverse, from the eagle's beak to near the bottom of the second M in COMM. Otherwise, there are few noticeable marks on either side of this lovely specimen.
Housed in the original wooden container made by Duncan Phyfe from wood taken from the Seneca Chief.