The base of this box bears a circular paper disc with the following handwritten message: The wood from which this box is made once formed a part of the residence of William Penn the Founder; the home, which was built by him, yet remains in Letitia Court in Philadelphia. 7 Month 19. 1828. The top has a similar disc inscribed: Presented to Elizabeth Robson by John Bacon in remembrance of her excellent vist to her friends and other in America during the years 1824 to 1828. A finely crafted turned oak keepsake box. By the 1960's modern research had concluded that the Letitia Court House, long thought to have been built by Penn, was actually built between 1713 to 1715 for Thomas Chalkley and that Penn, who suffered a catastrophic stroke in England during 1712, had probably never set foot in the building. Once a museum, the house was closed to the public in 1965.