IRVINE, Calif. -- Bowers and Merena, America's premier rare coin and currency auction house, kicked off what promises to be an exciting year with its January 2010 Orlando Rarities Sale. The sale, with nearly 1,000 lots of rare and enticing United States, Colonial and Territorial gold coinage, was conducted in a single session on January 5. Total prices realized for the auction is in excess of $2.5 million.
"We had a strong turnout among bidders in our Orlando Rarities Sale," stated Bowers and Merena president Steve Deeds, "and prices realized for many lots reflected collectors' interests in rare, difficult-to-find coins in premium-quality condition. The stand-out highlight of the sale is lot 743, an 1879 Judd-1635 Flowing Hair Stella certified Proof-66 Cameo by NGC. The dazzling rarity traded hands for $182,500."
"Another gold coin that performed very well is lot 747, an 1802/3 Half Eagle MS-65 * NGC," continued Deeds. "This sharply struck, Condition Census rarity brought $115,000 at auction."
Said Deeds: "United States gold coins were not the only strong performers in our Orlando Rarities Sale. Early Copper specialists made their voices heard by driving the realized price for lot 27 to an impressive total of $25,300. The coin in that lot is a fresh, new-to-market example of the rare S-264 Large Date, Small Fraction variety of the 1803 Draped Bust Cent. We sold the coin as a PCGS VG-10."
"And in the Territorial gold section of our Orlando Rarities Sale we were pleased to present lot 695," observed Deeds. "A unique variety of the 1851 K-2 Augustus Humbert $50 Gold, this PCGS-certified AU-55 is missing the digits 88 in the inscription 880 THOUS on the obverse scroll. We saw particularly fierce competition between two interested bidders, and when the dust settled the winner earned the right to take this important coin home at $115,000."
Additional highlights from the Orlando Rarities Sale include:
• Lot 186, 1937-D Buffalo Nickel, FS-901, 3-Legged, MS-65 (PCGS), CAC, realized $35,650
• Lot 227, 1829 Capped Bust Dime, JR-2, MS-67 (PCGS), OGH, realized $20,700
• Lot 274, 1852-O Seated Liberty Quarter, MS-62 (PCGS), realized $26,450
• Lot 276, 1855 Seated Liberty Quarter, Arrows, MS-66 (NGC), realized $10,350
• Lot 332, 1927-S Standing Liberty Quarter, MS-66 (NGC), realized $10,063
• Lot 383, 1873 Seated Liberty Half Dollar, Arrows, MS-65 (PCGS), realized $17,250
• Lot 390, 1889 Seated Liberty Half Dollar, Proof-67 (PCGS), OGH, realized $34,500
• Lot 400, 1919-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar, MS-63 (PCGS), realized $13,800
• Lot 447, 1879-O Morgan Silver Dollar, MS-65 DPL (NGC), realized $11,500
• Lot 705, 1861 Gold Dollar, Proof-66 Cameo (PCGS), realized $23,000
• Lot 721, 1849-C Liberty Quarter Eagle, MS-61 (NGC), realized $12,650
• Lot 734, 1911 Indian Quarter Eagle, Proof-67 (NGC), realized $39,100
• Lot 790, 1885 Liberty Half Eagle, Proof-64 Deep Cameo (PCGS), realized $16,100
• Lot 801, 1799 Capped Bust Right Eagle, Large-Stars Obverse, MS-62 (PCGS), realized $31,625
• Lot 881, 1926-D Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, MS-63 (PCGS), realized $31,050
For a complete list of prices realized for the January 2010 Orlando Rarities Sale, visit the Bowers and Merena website at www.bowersandmerena.com or call the firm toll free of 800-458-4646.
Bowers and Merena Auctions was founded in 1983 and has grown to become the world's preeminent numismatic auctioneer with more than half a billion dollars in rare coin and currency sales. They continue to serve as Official Auctioneer of the Whitman Coin & Collectibles Baltimore Expos three times every year. Bowers and Merena has handled four of the five most valuable United States coin collections ever sold, including the Louis E. Eliasberg Sr. Collection, the Harry W. Bass Jr. Collection, the Garrett Collection for The Johns Hopkins University and the Norweb Collection. In 2008, Bowers and Merena Auctions acquired Ponterio & Associates, Inc., which now serves as Bowers and Merena’s auction division for world and ancient coins and currency. Bowers and Merena Rare Coin Galleries offers direct buying and selling of exceptional quality gold and silver rare coins.
For more information about Bowers and Merena and Ponterio & Associates, or to consign to an upcoming auction, call 800-458-4646. For media inquiries, ask for President Steve Deeds or Executive Vice President Rick Ponterio. Complete prices realized for all past auctions are available at www.bowersandmerena.com.