IRVINE, Calif. (March 2013) — Join Stack’s Bowers Galleries on March 13-15, 2013, as they present a spectacular array of United States coins and paper money for collectors and connoisseurs alike. “Our team is delighted to be the official auctioneer in Baltimore and looks forward to hosting yet another important sale” stated Chris Napolitano, president of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. Featured will be a wide range of numismatic material, including U.S. coins, paper money, medals and tokens, featuring a number of significant collections along the way. Colonial coins are at the forefront, with Part III of the Legendary Ted L. Craige Collection starting session one, followed by other notable consignments including the Janet Nakushian Collection of Silver Dollars, the Dr. Hans and Birgit Neuberg Collection, the Bob and Sarah Ross Portfolio, the Stephen L. Tanenbaum Estate, Part II, an Important Collection of Rhode Island Obsolete Proof Notes, Small Size Currency Rarities from the Thomas Vandenbosch Collection, and an advanced collection of fancy serial number notes, plus other memorable items.
The Ted L. Craige Collection includes over 400 lots of colonial issues, including state coinage of Vermont, a remarkable cabinet of French Colonies coins, extensive Washington issues, a superb Lord Baltimore Groat, the finest New Yorke in America token and much more.
The Rarities Night Session, set for the evening of Thursday, March 14, is a must attend event. Crossing the block will be dozens of scarce and rare items from nearly all series. Among many highlights are a 1792 half disme graded MS-64 (PCGS), a rare 1944 Lincoln cent struck on a steel planchet graded MS-64 (PCGS) CAC tied for the finest known, superb gem Liberty Seated quarters, a remarkable 1859-S Liberty Seated half dollar graded MS-68 (PCGS) CAC, many other outstanding Liberty Seated silver coins, a 1795 Capped Bust Right eagle in AU-58 (PCGS), and a 1907 Wire Rim Indian eagle graded MS-66 by (NGC) CAC.
In addition to the live auction sessions in Baltimore, Stack’s Bowers Galleries will also offer two Internet-Only Sessions that are scheduled to close on Tuesday, March 19.
Additional highlights include:
- Lot 2, Undated (1659) Lord Baltimore Fourpence or Groat. Hodder 1-A. Large Bust. AU-53 (PCGS). From the Ted L. Craige Collection. Ex: Boyd.
- Lot 196, Undated (Circa 1670) New Yorke in America Token. Brass. EF-40 (PCGS). From the Ted L. Craige Collection.
- Lot 414, Undated (Circa 1797) Theatre at New York Token. Proof-64+ BN (PCGS). From the Ted L. Craige Collection.
- Lot 2001, 1781 (1782) Libertas Americana Medal. Bronze. Betts-615. MS-61 BN.
- Lot 2008, 1858/7 Flying Eagle Cent. MS-64 (NGC).
- Lot 2011, 1917 Lincoln Cent. Doubled Die Obverse. MS-67 RD (PCGS). Secure Holder.
- Lot 2018, 1867 Shield Nickel. Rays. Proof-64 Cameo (PCGS).
- Lot 2021, 1913-S Buffalo Nickel. Type II. MS-67 (PCGS). Secure Holder.
- Lot 2024, 1937-D Buffalo Nickel. 3-Legged. MS-65 (NGC).
- Lot 2025, 1792 Half Disme. MS-64 (PCGS).
- Lot 2034, 1942/1-D Mercury Dime. FS-101. MS-65 FB (PCGS).
- Lot 2045, 1918 Standing Liberty Quarter. MS-68 FH (PCGS). CAC. Secure Holder. Ex: Just Having Fun Collection. PCGS Pop: 1/0
- Lot 2066, 1859-S Liberty Seated Half Dollar. MS-68 (PCGS). CAC. Secure Holder. PCGS Pop: 1/0
- Lot 2081, 1838 Gobrecht Silver Dollar. Name Removed. Judd-84 Restrike. Proof-62 (NGC). Ex: ANS Collection.
- Lot 2092, 1895 Morgan Silver Dollar. Proof-65 Cameo (NGC). From the Janet Nakushian Collection.
- Lot 2109, 1903 Louisiana Purchase Exposition Gold Dollar. McKinley Portrait. Proof-67 Cameo (NGC).
- Lot 2110, 1909 Indian Cent–Struck on a Barber Dime–MS-65 (NGC).
- Lot 2111, 1944 Lincoln Cent–Struck on a Steel Planchet–MS-64 (PCGS). CAC. Secure Holder.
- Lot 2132, 1860-D Gold Dollar. MS-64 (NGC). Ex: Duke’s Creek Collection.
- Lot 2144, 1892 Liberty Quarter Eagle. Proof-68 Deep Cameo (PCGS).
- Lot 2153, 1864 Three-Dollar Gold Piece. MS-65 (PCGS). Ex: Bass.
- Lot 2157, 1889 Three-Dollar Gold Piece. MS-67 (PCGS).
- Lot 2166, 1858 Liberty Half Eagle. MS-66 * (NGC).
- Lot 2173, 1795 Capped Bust Right Eagle. Taraszka-5, BD-5. 13 Leaves. AU-58 (PCGS). Secure Holder.
- Lot 2179, 1870-CC Liberty Eagle. AU-53 (PCGS). Secure Holder.
- Lot 2181, 1907 Indian Eagle. Periods. Wire Rim. MS-66 (NGC). CAC.
Stack’s Bowers Galleries is currently accepting consignments for its dynamic 2013 auction season, including the Official Auction of the May 2013 ANA National Money Show, the June 2013 Whitman Coin & Collectibles Baltimore Expo and the Official Auction of the August 2013 World’s Fair of Money in Chicago.
All lot descriptions and images in the March 2013 Baltimore Auction can be viewed online at the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website, stacksbowers.com. Printed catalogs are available upon request by calling 800.458.4646. Online bidding and pre-auction bids will be accepted at stacksbowers.com; by e-mail at [email protected]; by phone at 800.458.4646; by fax at 949.253.4091; and by postal mail addressed to Stack’s Bowers Galleries, March 2013, 1063 McGaw, Irvine, CA, 92614. Interested bidders are also encouraged to view lots onsite in Baltimore in March and bid in-person at the live auction, or live online through the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website. A complete auction and lot-viewing schedule is available at stacksbowers.com or by calling 800.458.4646.
About Stack’s Bowers Galleries
Stack’s Bowers Galleries, a division of Fortune 500 Company Spectrum Group International Inc., enjoys a legacy that spans more than 100 years, and includes the cataloging and sale of many of the most valuable collections to ever cross an auction block — the John J. Ford, Jr. and Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collections, The Harry W. Bass, Jr. Collection, and The Norweb Collection — to name just a few. Topping off this amazing numismatic history is the inclusion of the world record for the highest price ever realized at auction for a rare coin: the1794 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar graded Specimen-66 (PCGS) that realized over $10 million. The company is headquartered in Irvine, California, with offices in New York, New Hampshire and Hong Kong. Stack’s Bowers Galleries is the Official Auctioneer for several important numismatic conventions, including the 2013 ANA World’s Fair of Money and the ANA/PNG Pre-Show, the 2013 ANA National Money Show, and the Whitman Coin & Collectibles Baltimore Expo, three times yearly.