IRVINE, Calif (December 2012) — Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio will present an exceptional selection of over 4,000 lots of world and ancient coins and paper money at the Official NYINC Auction, January 8-14, 2013. The four-day auction event offers catalogs spotlighting a multitude of collections and highlights, including The Robert O. Ebert Collection.
Considered by many experts to be the most comprehensive assemblage of Hadrianic coinage to exist in private hands, The Ebert Collection includes over 1,700 gold, silver and bronze coins spanning from the early Republic era to the Byzantine Empire, The collection focuses on the coinage during the reign of Emperor Hadrian, including Provincial, Aelius Caesar, Antinous and Sabina coinage.
“It is always exciting to begin the New Year in New York at the NYINC show,” said Richard Ponterio, executive vice president of Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio. “We have a tremendous auction to present this year, offering a vast selection of lots, including the impressive Ebert Collection, which is sure to draw bidders from all over the world.”
Highlights of the Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio Official NYINC sale include:
- Lot 53, SICILY. Syracuse. Dionysus I, 406-367 B.C. AR Decadrachm (42.19 gms), ca. 400-390 B.C. CHOICE EXTREMELY FINE.
- Lot 195, MYSIA. Cyzicus. EL Stater (15.90 gms), ca. 400-350 B.C. BOLD VERY FINE.
- Lot 294, PERSIA. Alexandrian Empire. Babylon. AV Double Daric (17.18 gms), Mazaios as Satrap of Babylon (331-328 B.C), ca. 331-328 B.C. BOLD VERY FINE.
- Lot 1026, GREAT BRITAIN. The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Collar Badge (The George), ND (Instituted 1348). EXTREMELY FINE.
- Lot 1319, GREAT BRITAIN. Siege of Pontefract. Shilling, 1648. NGC AU-50.
- Lot 1426, INDIA. Rupee, 1939. Bombay Mint. NGC AU-58.
- Lot 1517, MEXICO. 8 Reales, 1732-F. EXTREMELY FINE.
- Lot 2029, GALBA, A.D. 68-69. AV Aureus (7.36 gms), Rome Mint, ca. 68 A.D. NEARLY EXTREMELY FINE.
- Lot 2030, OTHO, A.D. 69. AV Aureus (7.20 gms), Rome Mint. VERY FINE.
- Lot 2211, BRAZIL. 20,000 Reis, 1726-M. NGC MS-63.
- Lot 2343, GREAT BRITAIN. Sovereign, ND (1551-53). NGC EF-45.
- Lot 2345, GREAT BRITAIN. Unite, 1649. NGC AU-55.
- Lot 2359, GREAT BRITAIN. Edward VII (1901-1910). Pattern Crown in Gold, 1902. PCGS SP-62.
- Lot 2365, GUATEMALA. 8 Escudos, 1824-M. NGC AU-58.
- Lot 2417, INDIA. East India Company. 2 Mohurs Restrike, 1835. Calcutta Mint. NGC PL-65 ULTRA CAMEO.
- Lot 2553, MEXICO. Culiacan. 2 1/2 Pesos, 1893-CnM. PCGS MS-64 Secure Holder.
- Lot 3173, EGYPT. National Bank of Egypt. 50 Pounds, 23.10.1916. P-15s. PCGS Choice About New 58 PPQ.
- Lot 3193, EQUATORIAL AFRICAN STATES. Banque Centrale. 10,000 Francs, ND (1968). P-7pe. PMG Choice Uncirculated 64 EPQ.
- Lot 3318, IRAN. Imperial Bank of Persia. 1 Toman, 12.2.1924. P-1. PMG Choice Extremely Fine 45.
- Lot 3444, LIBYA. Military Authority in Tripolitania. 1,000 Lire, ND (1943). P-M8a. Very Fine.
- Lot 3514, PALESTINE. Palestine Currency Board. 5 Pounds, 1.9.1927. P-8a. PMG Very Fine 20.
All lot descriptions and images in the Official NYINC sale can be viewed online at the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website,stacksbowers.com. Printed catalogs are available upon request by calling 949.253.0916. Online bidding is open and pre-auction bids will be accepted at stacksbowers.com; by e-mail at [email protected]; by phone at 949.253.0916; by fax at 949.253.4091; and by postal mail addressed to Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio, Official NYINC 2013, 1063 McGaw Avenue, Suite 100, Irvine, CA, 92614. Interested bidders are also encouraged to view lots onsite in New York in January and bid in-person at the live auction, or live online through the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website. A complete auction and lot-viewing schedule is available at stacksbowers.com or by calling 949.253.0916.
To consign world coins and currency to the upcoming Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio April 2013 Hong Kong Auction or the Official Auction of the ANA Chicago 2013 World’s Fair of Money, please call 800.458.4646 (West Coast) or 800.566.2580 (East Coast).
About Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio
Stack’s Bowers Galleries, a division of Fortune 500 Company Spectrum Group International Inc., combines the extraordinary histories of Stack’s, the oldest rare coin auction and retail company in America, with Bowers and Merena Auctions, one of the world’s preeminent auctioneers of rare coins and paper money. The two companies unite to share a combined legacy that spans more than 100 years, and includes the cataloging and sale of many of the most valuable collections to ever cross an auction block — the John J. Ford, Jr. and Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. collections, The Harry W. Bass Jr., Collection, and The Norweb Collection — to name just a few. Topping off this amazing numismatic history is the inclusion of the world record for the highest price ever realized at auction for a rare coin: the legendary 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle that realized an astounding $7.59 million (sold in partnership with Sotheby’s). The company is headquartered in Irvine, California, with offices in New York, New Hampshire and Hong Kong. Stack’s Bowers Galleries is the Official Auctioneer for several important numismatic conventions, including the 2013 ANA World’s Fair of Money and the ANA/PNG Pre-Show, the 2013 ANA National Money Show, and the Whitman Coin & Collectibles Baltimore Expo, three times yearly.