IRVINE, Calif. (October 9, 2013) — Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio, the foreign and ancients division of auction powerhouse Stack’s Bowers Galleries, is once again gearing up to sell world and ancient coins and paper money at public auction in November. Ancient and foreign coins will feature a number of important pieces and collections, including the David O’Harrow Collection of Mexican coins. This impressive auction will also include an excellent section of Canadian coinage, among other notable sections.
The ancient and world coin sessions will take place from on November 7-8 and will offer more than 2,300 lots with rare and high quality pieces in all areas. Ancient coinage features a lovely Persian gold Daric from the period of Xerxes II to Artaxerxes II (ca. 420-375 B.C.) in Extremely Fine condition. A strong selection of Canadian coinage is highlighted by a PCGS MS-64 example of the low-mintage 1913 Sovereign, and French coinage showcases two lots of gold specimen Pieforts. Lot 20489 contains nine pieces of 1974 gold coins from Centime through 50 Francs, all certified by PCGS in grades ranging from SP-65 to SP-68 and the following lot, 20490, is a ten piece lot of 1979 gold Pieforts in grades ranging from PCGS SP-64 to SP-69.
Coinage from Great Britain offers collectors an attractive 1682 Charles III 5 Guineas. Certified by PCGS as AU-50, this lovely wholesome piece will make an excellent addition to any cabinet of British coins. Connoisseurs of Mexican gold are sure to be interested in lot 21112, the finest certified Hermosillo 8 Escudos of any date struck by this mint. The coin, dated 1873-HoPR, is a lustrous and choice example of the type that hails from the David O’Harrow Collection.
Highlights of the Stack’s Bowers Galleries Official Auction of the November 2013 Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo include:
- Lot 20040, PERSIA. Achaemenidae. AV Daric (8.34 gms), Time of Xerxes II to Artaxerxes II (ca. 420-375 B.C.). Extremely Fine.
- Lot 20127, AUSTRALIA. 1/2 Sovereign, 1875-S. PCGS MS-62 Secure Holder.
- Lot 20142, AUSTRIA. Holy Roman Empire. 2 Taler, ND (1564-95). Einsisheim Mint. NGC AU-55.
- Lot 20150, AUSTRIA. 2 Taler, 1604. Hall Mint. NGC MS-62.
- Lot 20212, CANADA. 5 Cents, 1875-H. PCGS MS-63.
- Lot 20264, CANADA. 50 Cents, 1932. PCGS MS-62.
- Lot 20314, CANADA. Sovereign, 1913. PCGS MS-64.
- Lot 20489, FRANCE. Gold Pieforts, 1974. PCGS SP-65 to SP-68 Secure Holders.
- Lot 20490, FRANCE. Gold Pieforts, 1979. PCGS SP-64 to SP-69 Secure Holders.
- Lot 20622, GREAT BRITAIN. 5 Guineas, 1682. PCGS AU-50 Secure Holder.
- Lot 20721, GUATEMALA. 8 Reales, 1824-NGM. NGC MS-63.
- Lot 21001, MEXICO. Carlos & Johanna, Early Series. 3 Reales, ND (1536-38). Assayer R (oMo-oMo), Three Dots for Demon. Francisco del Rincon. Fine.
- Lot 21112, MEXICO. Hermosillo. 8 Escudos, 1873-HoPR. NGC MS-64.
- Lot 21185, MEXICO. Peso, 1914. NGC MS-62.
- Lot 21245, PERU. 8 Escudos, 1757-LJM. PCGS AU-53 Secure Holder.
- Lot 21367, RUSSIA. 10 Ruble, 1894-AT. NGC AU-55.
- Lot 21437, TRANSYLVANIA. 2 Ducat, 1764. PCGS MS-62 Secure Holder.
Two additional internet-only sessions containing world coins and paper money will close on Tuesday, November 12 at 3:00pm PT.
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is currently accepting consignments for the January 2014 N.Y.I.N.C. Auction and the April 2014 Hong Kong auction.
All lot descriptions and images in the Official Auction of the November 2013 Whitman Coin and Collectibles Baltimore Expo can be viewed online at the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website, www.stacksbowers.com. Printed catalogs are available upon request by calling 800.458.4646. Online bidding and pre-auction bids will be accepted at www.stacksbowers.com; by e-mail at [email protected]; by phone at 800.458.4646; by fax at 949.253.4091; and by postal mail addressed to Stack’s Bowers Galleries, Nov Baltimore 2013, 1063 McGaw, Irvine, CA, 92614. Interested bidders are also encouraged to view lots onsite in Chicago in August and bid in-person at the live auction, or live online through the Stack’s Bowers Galleries website. A complete auction and lot viewing schedule is available at www.stacksbowers.com or by calling 800.458.4646.
About Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio
Stack’s Bowers and Ponterio is the world and ancients auction division of Stack’s Bowers Galleries, a division of Fortune 500 Company Spectrum Group International. It was founded in 1982 as Ponterio & Associates by Richard Ponterio, renowned specialist in world and ancient numismatics, who is now executive vice president of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. Past auctions have included such notable coin collections as the Wa She Wong Collection, the John S. Davenport Collection, the Witte Museum Collection, the Amat Collection, the Joe Lasser Collection, and the James Hunnicut Collection. Distinguished paper money collections include the East Bay Collection of International Bank Notes, and the Eduard Kann Chinese Bank Note Collection, along with treasure collections from the shipwrecks “Nicobar,” “Rooswijk,” and “Capitana.”